Monday, August 2, 2010

Body Image

Since last mid-October, due to vertigo, I have been unable to work. Before that happened I was successfully losing weight - having lost 14 pounds in 5 months by just being careful about how much I ate. I was very happy and encouraged by this, as you can imagine. However, since then I have been the "Prisoner of Zenda" in my own home with but a few "high points" in my life: My beloved John - it makes my day when he gets home after work. My darling daughters and granddaughters - seeing and speaking with them on Skype every few weeks gives me something to look forward to and to cherish. Following my family and friends on Facebook - I can look on the computer several times a day for short periods of time and catch up with them. Reading - although I can only read for 5 minutes (10 on a good day) at a time I am still a reader - love my books and a few magazines as well. TV - news, court, comedies, etc... whatever to pass the time. I alternate all these things to break up my day. Food - I eat 2 or 3 meals a day but I am totally sedentary (cannot walk, etc... for exercise due to vertigo - I fall too easily) and so have gained all I lost - plus. This does not make me feel very proud of myself but it is the truth - I am not happy with my "look" - not very fashionable at all (there is a tribe in Africa who thinks fat is beautiful :0) --- where are they when I need them). We have a terrific stationary bicycle in our living room (to motivate us) but we have not figured out a safe way for me to get on it without falling or feeling really dizzy -- still working on that. If I could figure it out so that I could get on it alone I would be able to get in a little exercise each day. We will keep trying!

Cartoon provided by: Reader's Digest

1 comment:

  1. What about stretches and some lying down type leg lifts or upper arm work with really small weights?? I am sitting here thinking about how you can get exercise. What about if dad took you out each evening for a stroll. He could support you and it would be nice for the two of you...

    ReplyDelete