Friday, June 6, 2014

Dorval Island

Every summer, my family spent it at our cottage on Dorval Island on Lac St. Louis near Montreal.  The best childhood memories I have are from this time.  We would move out there right after school ended, sometimes just before, and we would move back to town in early or mid-September.  Here I learned to swim and dive(and compete), to fish with my father, to 'captain' a speedboat, and sail at the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club.  The sound of a lawnmower brings me right back to that time and place, as does the smell of fresh mowed grass.  The cottage and property looked different then (this was taken a couple of years ago).  My mother had it very pristine and not so overgrown.  It was truly lovely.  Probably the only thing I miss in Canada, other than family, is this place - my 'real home', as my Daddy would say.

Have a memorable weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment